Sunday, September 27, 2009

NFL

So I've started watching the NFL - not through love of football (gag!!!), but it's an amusing day out of the house in the company of some good friends. Each Sunday there are 15 games in total - there's only 1 TV, and usually 2 laptops, which means plenty of channel surfing. I'm trying to learn enough about the game so I can follow what the hell is going on and understand why everyone is cheering and/or booing, but this is very difficult to do when someone (not mentioning any names VERN) is changing the channel every 30 seconds. Between the 5 of us we bet $100 on ProLine tickets - each of us making our own picks based on our own individual preferences. My picks are made based on the uniform colours of the teams playing (never bet on brown, orange or green), Vern goes for the longshots (trying to cash in on the big ones), Gilles picks the Wicker Ticket (no clue what that means), Bill's picks are based on how he feels that morning (we think...) and Gavin just goes with the flow. We lost on all our tickets in the first week, cashed in $446 in the second week, and are not doing very well so far this week. I've been making breakfast, Bill's been making supper and Vern and Gilles play poker to amuse themselves when the football is not very exciting. It is hilarious for a non-gambler like myself to sit here and watch the silly things that they all bet on (even or odd #'d jersey scoring, field goal going wide left or right, etc.).

Will I know any more about football at the end of the season than I do now? Somehow I doubt it, but I will have spent countless hours with good friends laughing and having a good time. Time very well spent!

No comments: